January 2, 2008
Resolutions oft seem like a good idea. A good idea without the practicality of the means to achieve them. And while I heaved a huge sigh of relief at the close 0f 2007 last night … lamenting the things that did not occur… or did occur to my chagrin… I have to say I enter this new year with lots of hope.
I resolved at the turn of last year to get myself back to London. The plan was to forsake my crack addiction (that would be Starbucks to the unknowing of my affectionate terminology) and pile away my pennies to hop the pond. I started off the year with good determination. Then I let my frantic planning of Mardi Gras and my first Banned in Boston excuse the lapse in attention to fiscal responsibility and soy latte restraint. I also, sadly, stopped running with the regularity I carved into habit in 2006. Then the whole frustrating end at my beloved home, the stress of a wedding, and other minor angst continued to tempt me away from that determined path. But sometime after my birthday I found the devotion yet again. I have regulated the crack habit, as well as the wraps from Purple Cactus.
Two weeks from now I will be over the Atlantic, hopefully snoozing to abate the jet lag.
I can't wait to revisit some of my old haunts, to rediscover them or find how six years has altered them. I look forward to sharing my appreciation of Golden Square and Cornish pasties with Mahthah. I'm excited to visit new places, like the BBC tour and Nottingham to salivate over cheesy black leather. It will be a grand time, a really wonderful way to begin 2008.
The best part though, is that it is indeed the pudding in which the proof lies. That if one actually directs a deliberate thought or two towards change, one can actually find those ominous means to complete a resolution. Maybe not as originally envisioned (though it would have been great to see Toby act in Pinter), there is oft a beauty in the unanticipated alteration to determination.
So…here's hoping the intention for the new year finds its reward in some manner, shape, or form. I'm optimistic.
Maybe I'll finally meet William - and of course his brother, Alistair.

No comments:
Post a Comment