February 4, 2008
I know I can be a bit obnoxious in my opinions sometimes. I recognize I let my pride in my intellect override an appreciation of simple fun. But I'm going to ignore that sensitivity and bitch about the Patriots and Patriots fans for a few paragraphs.
I understand that it is something to rally behind a common goal, to see ordinary man work with other ordinary men towards an impressive goal. I understand there is an amount of fun in sharing that with friends and cheering on a hero projected on the television. I get that. I get - even though I personally find the game a huge bore - that it is suspenseful and a thrill.
All that said, I am slightly disgusted.
Wouldn't it be something if the population who got so into the superstition and support behind the New England football team could direct that energy and thought and MONEY towards something that really mattered? Why don't we as a mass care as much about feeding hungry children as we do about a 19-0 record? Why can't we as a collective soul rally behind veterans who have lost their legs and incomes the way we did about Tom Brady's ankle? Why do we care so much about how overpaid athletes spend an afternoon and not spend five minutes worrying about recycling or finding a renewable fuel source?
Yes, I know we think about those things. We talk about global warming, how unnecessary the war is, how it is too bad that little African children don't have clean drinking water or enough rice to combat the hunger that stunts their growth. Sure, we fuel our conversations and rants with these thoughts… but do we ever put that much devotion into making these wrongs right as we do in hoping that the Patriots will win the superbowl?
Watching all these fans group together, shout out their enthusiasm, buy the gear and wear it proudly, I observe that we are capable of banding together to care about something. That people are able to direct a whole bunch of thought and effort towards a hope. Yeah, the Patriots did not win this time… but the point is, people cared. Imagine… imagine if so many people cared about the ozone layer?
I'm not guiltless of this attitude. My fanaticism is directed towards Hamlet and BBC period dramas, on which I spend frivolous amounts of money and time. And I appreciate that all Patriots fans aren't living in a cloud of self-absorption and don't care about those things. I think they do. I just want to see the effort put behind the game put behind something that will make this world better. Because that is a team spirit that won't go away when the season ends and the media moves onto the next professional team.
Well, a girl can dream… or throw a party of her own and build a house.
That's me. Pats fans, what are you going to do? Prove me wrong and show me that I'm just a long-winded intellectual snob. But don't just say it.
Off the soap box now. Go Red Sox… or whatever. I'll still be watching Jane Austen.

1 comment:
I think people need a release from having to care about important things, like paying the morgage/rent, taxes, children, jobs, schooling, etc to the environment, renewable energy, leaving a smaller footprint. The game is just fun.
That being said...yes a lot of fans go to the extreme: paying for merchandise, tickets, parties and being very vocal. But it's a short season and I can deal with it. We used to have Superbowl commercial parties 16 years ago. I only got into watching when it was with friends and it was a local team to root for. So I watch one game every 4-5 years if it's a social event.
Post a Comment