Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fowl Confusion

January 5, 2007

I walked out onto my front porch this morning and was startled from my dreary stare at the ground by a cry in the sky. A lone goose was circling the park, as if uncertain where to go. I remembered it is January, when geese should be long gone to the south. Then I remembered that geese are the creatures, idiotic and annoying as they can be, that move in pairs or groups.

Is this another of nature's strange hiccups this winter – like the buds on the trees I see outside my window? The result of our unnaturally warm season… be it El Nino or global warming? It was odd enough to find the inspiration to record… or maybe not odd at all. Maybe I simply saw it this time because I feel like that goose, a little lost and uncertain whether to land… or fly away.

No comments: