January 17, 2007
Today I abandoned obligation to work (bad, bad girl) and channeled my energies and enthusiasm towards organizing my Mardi Gras party at the end of February. I'm very excited – about the food, the music (my FAVORITE local musicians have offered up some live performances… check them out on my friends list), and ALL the friends and family who are interested in coming and helping out.
Aside from my recent obsession with playing the host (I think it has displaced my theater addiction for a spell), I was inspired towards this determination by a forward I received for a second time questioning the legitimacy of reports of Katrina's devastation. One remark in this email suggested that New Orleans deserved what it got… for being a city of sin. The rest was too idiotic to give the validation of repeating.
So… I will do my part. It isn't a news story anymore… although I'm sure there will be some PR when Mardi Gras gets closer… saying how things are better. But… really, there is so much that is not better. That is why there is a cover charge for this party. Nothing huge – but enough to collect a fair amount to pass along to a very deserving cause.
It's a little thing. And yet… it caught like a fever today… and… it is a curious thing to remember the domino effect of our actions… for good or bad. But… it has also made me appreciate very, very much how lucky I am. Not just because I live in New England, far away from the disaster of the levees… but because I have a group of friends and family who support my passion for this. I shouldn't be startled by it, but I am. And pleased. And just so damn happy that I live amongst so many cool people who care.

No comments:
Post a Comment