September 22, 2006
So I had a creepy moment last night. I don't commit myself to the belief or disbelief of the paranormal. I like to leave the conclusion of such in a vague place in my mind, partly to preserve my sanity on nights like yesterday… and partly to indulge my sense of mischief as I dole out the flowery details to curious visitors on Eastern Point. I do have a vivid imagination … and perhaps my boredom with the repetitions requires a little excitement to vary the monotony.
Whatever. It was a soft wailing sound. In the Master Mariner's Room, as I closed the doors with the darkness of the harbor casting shadows across the wooden walls. I thought it might have been a cat. There have been stories of an ambitious feline climbing onto the derelict servants' porch and nestling there in the evenings… or was it a child's cry? Or… something else?
Yes, I was a little feverish yesterday… so maybe that was all – my mind playing tricks on my senses after plowing through a 75 minute tour, straining my already tired voice and mind beyond capacity. I went out to look for the cat… and only saw the blackness of the ocean water and the faint lights of downtown Gloucester. There was a chill in the air… none of the white armed mists… something made the hairs stand on end.
I went back to the room, held my breath and listened again. Was it just some horn of a distant vessel floating out to sea? I couldn't tell. Odd. But that is the room where Mother's black lace is stored, hidden behind a plain wooden door. Next to the bedroom, where I found the glimpse of a secret locked inside a book two summers ago… and caused something to move when the house was supposed to be quiet.
I couldn't make myself stay, rationalizing that I was expected to complete the task of closing down for the evening. Was there something there? Mother? Harry? One of Mary's children? Or just the settling of the old wood and the wind blowing across the harbor?
I look at the calendar just now and realize it is September 22. Rest in peace, Harry.

No comments:
Post a Comment