November 4, 2007
Nostalgia has often hit me on this weekend over the past six years. It is a favorite weekend, etched into my memory. So many things I remember vividly… although a reread of this writing prompted more memories. It is why I remember, remember the fifth of November in the most ridiculous way every year.
4 November, 2001
In my typical fashion, I got off and blindly headed down the road. My walk wasn't as brisk. I brought myself to a sports ground, which after consulting A to Z turned out to be on the opposite side of Richmond as the park. In fact, I was rather close to the Kew Gardens. I walked to the end of the field, which turned out to be the Thames River. There was a shady walkway, bustling with families and cyclists. The sun was bright - almost too bright to allow for good photos. It was a great walk, with the river on one side and estate like homes on the other. Some people were kayacking on the river, reminding me of Hans B. There was also a place where one could rent boats to … can't remember what it's called - the typical Edwardian British bit with the long poles. The walkway went through a park and down to a farm. At that point I went along with no entrance but more trees, until it was all woods. I was delighted with the clean, crisp air. I could see traces of my breath and felt a surge of joy in the realization of the perfect fall weather.
I found a leafy path in the woods and followed it in the hopes of being in the park. It turned out that it wasn't. It was a gorgeous abandoned piece of nature, with ivy winding round the trees. It was mystical and historic and a thrill for me. L… came into my head as I followed the path, which ended too soon at another road. I walked down the road, feeling a bit light-headed for want of food. The road led to a military home/hospital… and a gate to Richmond Park. But I needed food. So I went down another road in search of a store or bakery. I walked and walked, retracing my steps at one point. I finally came upon a shopping complex with a Home Depot type store and a massive Sainsbury's. I decided I would get some food and bring it back to the park. I was so impressed by the size I spent more time than necessary in the store. After changing my mind about a sandwich, I decided on hummus, a package of garlic pita, a Diet Coke, and crisps flavoured with Worcestershire sauce. I took my spoils back up the road and decided to cut through a back road that had a sign for Richmond Cemetery and Sheen Common, which was connected to the park - or so I told myself. The Sheen Common had more leaf covered paths with patches of squishy mud. There were bushes of holly from which I took a branch. It was cold under the trees, but I really enjoyed the setting. It ended up in a neighbourhood. I looked at A to Z and guessed my way until I found another gate, Sheen Gate. I followed a foot path along the edge of the park and settled on a fallen log where I had my feast. It was a good, calm meal ~ thoughts & inspirations running through my brain. As I walked, I worked out details for both L… and my WWII story - depending where I was. The wooded areas were more conducive to L…
When I stood up after my lunch, I realized my feet were already starting to ache. I was also running short on daylight & time. I pressed on, wanting to at least see some deer. Lots of people were about. I found some amazing, gnarly, old hollow trees. There were patches of dying ferns and open spaces of grass. The park was worth the effort of getting there. Just the same, I had to head back. I wanted to get a train and be home by six. I had plans to meet Rachel & Ali & Jessie at seven. I took a path parallel to a road, knowing it would lead me back to the gate. Then I came upon a field of deer. One stag was separated, grazing. I wanted to get close and take a photo. I heard a father cautioning his child and held myself back. I started walking again but decided to cut through the field when I saw others do it. I needed to go, but I paused to watch their movements. Some watched me. It was a sight. I even saw some stags butting heads. I realized another group (herd) was in the field on the other side of the road. Every once and a while one would cross. Some cars slowed down prepared. Other cars slammed on their brakes. One deer approached the side of the road, stopped traffic, then bowed its head to graze a few seconds before crossing.
But I had to leave them and headed to the gate. I walked through neighborhoods - lovely pieces of property that I admired. Haphazardly I made my way to a main strip with many shops. I was in search of the tube and an ATM. I finally came to the tube and got on the train, glad to be off my feet. I shamefully didn't offer up that seat to an older woman. My feet really hurt when I got off. I went to the ATM and came back here for a quick meal of spaghetti and tomato sauce. At seven I went up to meet Rachel. It was cold! We waited for Ali & Jessie to get home and then another ten minutes for them to grab a sandwich.
We walked straight down to the Thames and over to The Albert Bridge. I've never seen it at night. It was all lit up, like a giant Christmas tree. As we walked, we heard the booms and saw the glows of fireworks in various parts of the city. We followed the massive crowd over the Albert Bridge, closed to traffic. We paid the entrance fee to the park - after Rachel & Jessie got glow in the dark bands. The bonfire surged bright. We pushed our way to the front, feeling its heat. Not much later, the fireworks began against perfectly timed music. It was quite a show, against a clear sky and nearly full moon. Then it was over. The bonfire was a pile of embers. The crowd slowly moved out and back across the bridge. Ali & Jessie headed home. Rachel & I went in search of a pub, settling on the Anglesea Arms, which we had noticed on our way to the park. I had two pints of Grolsch and got quite drunk and silly. Rachel and I sat outside in the cold, kept warm by the alcohol in our blood. My exhaustion and small meals put me in quite a state so that I came home, drank a bottle of water, and went to bed - for nearly twelve hours...
Mahtha, I can't wait for January!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment